Prep 15 mins Cook 30 mins Slow Cook 8 hrs to 10 hrs (low) or 4 to 5 hours (high)
- 1 2 1/2 – 3 pound pork sirloin roast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 medium onions, cut into thin wedges
- 1 cup root beer*
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups root beer (two 12-ounce cans or bottles)*
- 1 cup bottled chili sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon root beer concentrate (optional)
- Several dashes bottled hot pepper sauce (optional)
- 8 – 10 hamburger buns, split (and toasted, if desired)
- Lettuce leaves (optional)
- Tomato slices (optional)
1. Trim fat from meat. If necessary, cut roast to fit into a 3-1/2- to 5-quart crockery cooker. Sprinkle meat with the salt and pepper. In a large skillet brown meat on all sides in hot oil. Drain off fat. Transfer meat to cooker. Add onions, the 1 cup root beer, and garlic.
2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
3. Meanwhile, for sauce, in a medium saucepan combine the 3 cups of root beer and the chili sauce. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Boil gently, uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes or until mixture is reduced to 2 cups. Add root beer concentrate and bottled hot pepper sauce, if desired.
4. Transfer roast to a cutting board or serving platter. Using a slotted spoon, remove onions from cooking juices and place on serving platter. Discard juices. Using 2 forks, pull meat apart into shreds. To serve, line buns with lettuce leaves and tomato slices, if desired. Add meat and onions; spoon on sauce.
- Do not substitute with diet root beer.
Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 356, Fat, total (g): 10, chol. (mg): 59, sat. fat (g): 3, carb. (g): 44, fiber (g): 1, pro. (g): 22, vit. A (RE): 41, vit. C (mg): 5, sodium (mg): 786, calcium (mg): 40, iron (mg): 2, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.